Thursday, July 9, 2009

Step by step

We now have a way to convert from .wml to .po and back to .wml again, but what exactly is the process from start to finish?

Here's how it will work, step by step, from a new .wml, to a translated .po, to .wml again, to a part of the website.

Step 1:
I have written foo.wml, a new .wml file. I commit this to the repository.

Step 2:
I need to convert foo.wml to foo.po. I run wml2po.

Step 3:
I now have foo.po in the repository as well, but pootle doesn't know about it. Pootle needs to be poked to learn about new files. Restart pootle.

Step 4:
Pootle now knows about foo.po and people can begin to translate.

Step 5:
It is soon time to build the website and I want to include translated pages of foo.wml. People forget to click on the 'commit'-button in the pootle interface when they are done translating foo.po. I log on to the pootle admin interface and force pootle to commit foo.po for all languages.

Step 6:
All work in pootle has been committed and I can update the translated documents, for example website/de/foo.wml. Run po2wml to convert translation/projects/website/de/foo.po to website/de/foo.wml and commit.

Step 7:
I build the website and deploy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment