Thursday, July 16, 2009

My current todo list

For those who would like to know what I am working on right now, here is my current todo list (also known as list-of-issues-that-need-to-be-sorted-out). That said, progress is a little bit slow these days as I'm in bed with the flu (again).

Converting files
I am working on converting the translated .wml files to .po files. The files are being uploaded to translation/trunk/tools/gsoc09/po/.

I have run into a little problem that I'm not sure how to deal with. When converting a .wml to a .po, including the translated .wml, po4a will sometimes exit with one of the following (or both) errors:

        1. Original has less strings than the translation
        2. Structure disparity between original and translated files

There are two types of translations that cause such problems. The first one is where the translator has simply skipped a paragraph or two and moved on to the next. This type of translation shouldn't be too hard to fix and convert. In most cases, anyways.

The second type is where the translator has written his or her own, translated version of the page, and not a direct, translated copy. This type of translation can be hard to fix unless you know the language.

I guess that one possible solution would be to ask the people on the or-talk list for help, or contacting previous translators directly.

No translated .wml in svn
Not having translated .wml in svn sounds like a good idea. After all, one can just generate the .wml from the translated .po when needed. However, we do need to have a few of the translated .wml files in svn. When I say "a few" I mean the translated versions of the donate-page as well as the download-pages.

The reason for this is that these files can not be converted to po (for now, at least). I suggest that we keep those files in svn and have po2wml generate the rest when we need them, i.e. before the website is built and published.

A small note-to-self would be to fix po2wml so it no longer adds and commits files.

No comments:

Post a Comment